We wanted to let you know how hoohaah will be operating with regards to COVID-19. In conversation with local GPs, we are reassured that continuing with mass participation events that are held outdoors (like our running events), are really important for general fitness and well-being.
As you are no doubt aware guidance suggests you need to be within approximately 2 metres of an infected person for about 15 minutes to contract the virus. As our events are held in the open air and the most likely ways of contracting the infection are unlikely at the type of events we hold we intend carrying on with our runs as planned. However, should either our venues or the government recommend cancelling we will of course do so. Should this be the case we will inform our runners via social media, email and an announcement on the home page of our website. Given the numbers of runners signed up for our events we are unable to respond to individual queries.
To allow our events to take place in as safe an environment as possible we do ask for a few simple actions to be observed by all concerned:
- If you are unwell please do not attend the run – this is best practice regardless of the current situation, rest is always best when unwell.
- If you have your own water bottle that you can carry with you on the run please use it rather than taking a cup from the marshals at our water station. Rest assured our marshals will be wearing disposable gloves but if we can keep the contact with runners to a minimum that would be preferable.
- We will be providing more bins near the water station. Please throw your cups in the bins provided rather than drop cups on the ground if at all possible.
- When using the toilets please follow the government advice for washing your hands i.e use soap and water and wash them for at least 20 seconds.
• Please wash your hands before and after eating or drinking.
• We are not encouraging spectators or runners to ‘high-five’ participants and to keep physical contact with each other to a minimum.
These are simple precautions which we hope will allow you all to enjoy your run. If you need more advice regarding COVID-19 please consider the following information:
• Foreign and Commonwealth Office: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public
• World Health Organisation https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
• National Health Service https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/